New Zealand - NZ 6 - Tasman Region - E. of Owen River

Highway 6, Tasman Region, east of Owen River

All photos were taken heading west.

Starting around Brightwater, the scenery is to the southeast in the Richmond Range. The 2nd and 3rd photos are a left/right pair.

The 3rd photo is at the Motueka Valley Highway. Sure enough, I'm then caught looking north (toward Tapawera) along the Motueka River.

Scenery to my right (north).

Scenery to my left (south).

One more southward photo before I get to the lookout at Hope Saddle, where Highway 6 crests between the Clark River and the Hope River valleys.

The first photo looks southward, while the second is due west along the highway.

To the northwest, we have tall mountains. The last two photos are closeups of each side of the 2nd photo, which is to the right of the first photo. In the last photo, I am seeing part of Mt. Owen (or at least the Lookout Range doing its best to obscure Mt. Owen), which is notable for being the site of all of the craggiest Lord of the Rings movie scenes.

The first photo is to the right of the previous set, and the rest are just closer views of parts of it. This may be looking north all the way to Wharepapa (Arthur Range) and Mount Arthur.

Coming back down from the saddle, these photos pan from left to right.

This is right about where the Hope River joins the Buller River, which I'll be following the rest of the way through Tasman Region on Highway 6.

The last four photos are each left/right pairs. The last two look left (southeast) at the Buller River.

Is this Mount Owen? I'm looking north from Owen Junction in the last photo, so it's at least the same name.

The first two photos are a left/right pair looking southwest, then one more photo before I get to those on the main Tasman Region page.

Continue west on Highway 6 past Owen River
Back east on Highway 6 to Nelson Region
Back to Tasman Region main page
Back to Highway 6 main page

Back to New Zealand Non-Roads
Back to Non-Roads main page