New South Wales - The Rocks, Sydney

The Rocks, Sydney

Call it the base of The Rocks; this is the 1931 Science House at the southwest corner of Essex and Gloucester Streets.

#136-138 Cumberland St., located at Long's Lane, dates to 1882.

Turning down the dead-end section of Gloucester Street, which labels itself the "oldest neighborhood in Sydney." The Edwardian Cottages terrace houses at #46-56 aren't all that old, only dating to 1914.

A little more legitimacy for Susannah Place, built as workers' cottages and a grocery store in 1844, and preserved as a museum of Sydney's working class.

Just down the road, Baker's Terrace at #66-72 was built in 1875.

At the end of Gloucester Street, on either side of Long's Lane, are the "Long's Lane Terraces/Long's Lane Precinct." Terrace House on the left, #113-115, dates to 1881, while Jobbins Terrace on the right dates to 1855-1857.

Back to Cumberland Street, this hotel opened in 1921 and the Sydney Harbour Bridge began construction in 1923. I think it rather enhances the view, but the proprietor could not have been happy with construction across from his tenants. (That said, hotels are mainly about being pubs, so perhaps it wasn't that bad overall with construction workers coming to drink.)

A building tucked under a bridge, presumably for toll collection and bridge maintenance.

Coming back south on Hickson Street, this is now the Arts Exchange Building but started life in 1908 as a power station - hence the smokestack.

Views from the back side of the old power station along Cumberland Street.

Campbell's Stores, on the east side of Hickson Street, were built between 1850-1861 as a warehouse.

The 1912 Metcalfe Bond building, extended south in 1916 (last photo).

To the base of Hickson Street and the 1885 Australasian Steam Navigation, or ASN, Company Building.

Onto George Street, the Observer hotel was built in 1909 and #75 was built in 1883.

The 1892 ASN Co. Hotel (in other words, owned by the guys in the Hickson St. building) and the 1860 Patrick Freehill Public House, or Pub.

Buildings start blending together. After the #121 terrace house (built 1880) there is the police station that operated from 1882-1974 and the old ES&A Chartered Bank from 1886. Click on either of the last two photos to see what ES&A stands for in closeup. Do you see the faces in the last photo?

The last block before the Cahill Expressway overpass includes the #139-141 terrace houses (1882), #145-155 (1913), and the old New York Hotel (1908-1960) that was put out of business by the freeway.

See more of Sydney

Back to New South Wales Non-Roads
Back to Non-Roads main page